Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Iya- Ile (First Wife)

I went to see the Nigerian play, Iya Ile a couple of weeks back at Soho Theatre with a couple of friends. It was great - the play poked fun at issues which could be argued are quite central to (some parts of) Nigerian society (corruption, s419 schemes, the rich/poor divide, polygamy, pastors who are really "bling" and rather dubious, status in society, the so-called freedom fighters/revolutionists who are't really etc). The pidgin English and dancing were really cool, the acting was superb (the actors and actresses were stunning). And I had great company, I went along with two beautiful, witty Nigerian girlfriends. We also later had dinner in a nearby dinky hotel. A pretty magical and refreshing evening. And we commented towards the end of the dinner that the pastor who was "bling" was quite hot. My cheeky friend commented, "like a good Muslim girl, I tightened my scarf when I realised how good-looking he was". I had never laughed so hard in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment